Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit to burn brush?

Yes. RSA 227-L:17, IV states: Every person, firm or corporation who kindles or causes to be kindled any fire or shall burn or cause to be burned any material in or near the woodlands, or where fire could communicate to the woodlands, except when the ground is covered by snow where you are burning SHALL obtain a written permit from the forest fire warden in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.

Can I burn during the day?

No. A fire may be kindled or material burned between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. unless actually raining.

Do I need a permit for a camp or cooking fire?

Yes. Camp or cooking fires my be kindled only with written permission of the landowner or agent and a written permit from the forest fire warden, or his authorized agent in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.

What material can I burn?

Clean brush or wood up to 5 inches in diameter. Tires, painted wood, pressure treated wood; trash etc. shall not be burnt.

Can I leave my fire unattended for the night?

No. All open fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguished. A buried fire is not considered extinguished.

Are there any penalties for burning without a permit?

Yes. Any person violating the permit law and its provisions, and any person who willfully or recklessly kindles a fire that endangers woodlands, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $2000 and/or up to one year in jail, or both.

If you have questions, please contact your local Forest Fire Warden, your local Fire Department or your local Forest Ranger.