Newton, NH Fire & Rescue
Welcome to the Newton Fire & Rescue website! This site is filled with information about our department, programs, permits, and events. If you don't find what you are looking for, or have further questions, feel free to contact us so that we can help you. Thanks for visiting!
Follow us on Facebook @ Newton NH Fire Department and on Twitter #NewtonFireNH
Life Safety Town Ordinance
Please note that the following Town ordinance was passed by the voters of Newton, NH on March 13, 2018 and took effect immediately.
Article 14 March 13, 2018
To see if the Town of Newton will allow the Newton Fire Department to enforce a Life Safety initiative that would require all buildings or structures occupied in whole or in part for residential purposes and or commercial purposes upon the sale, transfer or rental of such building or structure shall be equipped by the seller or owner with approved smoke detectors and approved carbon monoxide detectors as referenced in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 72 & 101 : RSA 153:10-a; Saf-C 6000
The Newton Fire Chief or his/her designee shall enforce the provisions of this town ordinance.
Newton Fire / Rescue is currently seeking eligible candidates for the position of Paid On-Call Firefighter / Emergency Medical Technician.
Job Description: A call firefighter shall be responsible for the efficient performance of required duties in conformance with the rules, regulations, and policies contained in the manual of department operations. Duties shall consist of but are not necessarily limited to, several general fire and rescue responsibilities necessary to the stability of safety in the community.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Responds at any time to all incidents for which he/she is qualified and performs necessary fire suppression activities, EMS activities, etc.
• As directed, makes a search of building interior for rescue purposes. Utilizes techniques of ventilation and applies knowledge of hydraulics and effective application of water or other materials for suppression of fire.
• Enters burning buildings with the necessary equipment taking direction from the officer in charge.
• Receives training and general instruction from officers in firefighting and rescue techniques and procedures.
• Once qualified shall drive apparatus to emergency scenes, positions, and sets up apparatus according to accepted practices or directions.
• Performs general upkeep and maintenance of fire station, apparatus, and equipment.
Must live within proximity of five miles from (5) the Town of Newton, NH
• Shall hold and maintain a valid New Hampshire Driver's License. (Class B with tanker preferred)
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be a high school graduate or GED
• Shall possess certification of New Hampshire Firefighter Level I and National Emergency Medical Technician-Basic within eighteen months of the date of appointment.
• All firefighters are required to become driver/operator qualified for all Department apparatus and hold and maintain a valid New Hampshire Driver's License.
• Ability to listen and follow orders in emergency situations.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
All candidates must pass a background check and a complete firefighter physical prior to being appointed to the department.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a job application with all training records. Applications are available at the Fire Station located at 8D Merrimac Road Newton, NH 03858
It is with deep regret that the Newton Fire Department announces the passing of Active Member Firefighter/EMT Michael Giordano (Gio). Firefighter Giordano is a long-time member of the Department and will truly be missed by all